How can I become involved in the Mark West Area community?

Please reach out to one of our council members for volunteer opportunities in our community. The Council does have several subcommittees that include community members to participate in brainstorming and project planning.

How is the Council funded?

California American Water (CalAm), our local drinking water provider, includes a franchise fee on its water bills that supports the Council and its Neighborhood Improvement Funding Program.

What is the Neighborhood Improvement Funding Program?

The Council provides funding to community non-profits in support of beautifying or improving community infrastructure, such as landscaping, signage, development of sidewalks, and much more. Please view the funding application to learn more. The NIFP is funded by the CalAm franchise fee funds.

When are the Council meetings?

Council meetings are typically held at 6pm on the second Wednesday of each month. View our calendar on the website to see when our next meeting occurs.

Does the Council make land use planning decisions?

The Council only makes recommendations to the Sonoma County Planning Commission on land use planning proposals within our jurisdiction. The Council does not make the final decision. The Council provides a forum for our community to learn more and comment on land use proposals.

Is the Council a “City Council?”

No. This Council is an advisory council set up through the County of Sonoma. The Mark West Area, including Larkfield and Wikiup, is in unincorporated Sonoma County. The Mark West Area does not have its own local city council, or its own local governing entity, other than the Mark West Union School District.